Africa Program Spring Internship: Conflict Resolution Program in Washington, 2017
The Search for Common Ground (SFCG) intern will support the Africa Team in providing programmatic, logistical, and financial support to SFCG’s projects in the region.
Eligible Countries: African countries
Program Location: SFCG’s Washington DC headquarters.
About the Award:
The Africa Program is active in Angola, Burundi, Central African Republic, Chad, Côte d’Ivoire, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Guinea, Liberia, Madagascar, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, Sudan, South Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda and Zimbabwe.
Search for Common Ground (SFCG) is an international non-profit organization that promotes peaceful resolution of conflict. With headquarters in Washington, DC and a European office in Brussels, Belgium, SFCG’s mission is to transform how individuals, organizations, and governments deal with conflict – away from adversarial approaches and toward cooperative solutions.
The Intern will be expected to:
– Contribute to the production of donor reports and grant proposals;
– Attend policy meetings, representing the Africa Program;
– Backstop the Washington DC-based Africa Team and country offices overseas; and
– Assist with website, program literature and database system maintenance.
The ideal candidate will exhibit:
– Good writing, editing and communication skills (required);
– A self-starting, detail-oriented and flexible approach to tasks (required);
– Demonstrable interest in African issues and/or conflict resolution (required); and
– NGO and/or international experience (preferred);
– Fluency or advanced proficiency in French with a focus on writing (preferred).
– Undergraduates (juniors and seniors), graduate students, and recent graduates are welcome to apply.
Duration of Internship: The internship begins in January and typically lasts until May
How To Apply:
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and two one-page writing samples (one in English, and one in French if possible) in document through our Bamboo application system.
We require commitments of no less than twenty hours a week for this position. Please note that this position is unpaid. Credit can be arranged for students with their institution. For international applicants, Search for Common Ground is not responsible for providing student or work visas; you will need to make your own visa arrangements.
Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. We ask that you do not follow-up with calls or emails concerning the status of your application. Candidates who fail to submit and/or complete the full application and do not meet the appropriate application deadline will not be considered.
Application Deadline: Still Ongoing