TWAS-CSIR Postgraduate Fellowship Programme in India for Researchers from Developing Countries, 2017
The Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) of India and TWAS have established a number of fellowships for foreign scholars from developing countries who wish to pursue research toward a PhD in emerging areas of science and technology for which facilities are available in the laboratories and institutes of the CSIR.
Eligible Countries: Developing Countries
Program Type: Postgraduate (Doctoral), Fellowship
Study Location: India
Field of Study:
- Agricultural Sciences
- Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
- Biological Systems and Organisms
- Medical and Health Sciences incl. Neurosciences
- Chemical Sciences
- Engineering Sciences
- Astronomy, Space and Earth Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
Application for this fellowship must meet the following criteria;
- Be a maximum age of 35 years by 31st of December 2017.
- Be nationals of a developing country (other than India).
- Must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in India or any developed country.
- Hold a Master’s degree in science and technology.
- Be regularly employed in their home country and hold a research assignment there.
- SANDWICH Fellowships: Be registered PhD students in their home country and provide the “Registration and No Objection Certificate” from the HOME university.
- FULL-TIME Fellowships: Be willing to register at a university in India within the first year, if agreed to by CSIR.
- Be accepted at a CSIR laboratory/institution and provide an official acceptance letter from the host institution (see sample Acceptance Letter included in the Application Form).
- provide evidence of proficiency in English, if medium of education was not English;
- provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship;
- not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship;
- be financially responsible for any accompanying family members.
Value of Fellowship:
CSIR will provide a monthly stipend to cover for living costs, food and health insurance. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency. In addition, Fellowship awardees are entitled to subsidized accommodation.
Duration of Fellowship:
- SANDWICH Fellowships (for those registered for a PhD in their home country): The Fellowship may be granted for a minimum period of 6 months and a maximum period to be decided by the host institute, but no greater than 3 years.
- FULL-TIME Fellowships (for those not registered for a PhD): The Fellowship may be granted for up to a maximum duration of 4 years.
How To Apply:
Applications for the TWAS-CSIR Postgraduate Fellowship Programme can ONLY be submitted to TWAS via the Online Portal and copy of the submitted application must be sent to CSIR by email.
Application Deadline: 26th June, 2017
– Applicants may also choose the Sandwich option.
– Requests for acceptance must be directed to the chosen CSIR host institution(s), with copy to the CSIR contact person.
– This will allow CSIR to monitor requests and offer support or assistance in finding suitable host institution(s), if necessary.