Call for Writers – Etisalat Prize for Literature 2017 (£15,000 and other awards)
The Etisalat Prize for Literature celebrates new writers of African citizenship whose first fiction book (over 30,000 words) was published in the last twenty four (24) months. For the purposes of this definition, first book means first printed production in book form of any type or genre.
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: Countries in Africa
Program Location: Nigeria, United Kingdom
Field of Study: Literature
About the Award:
The Etisalat Prize for Literature which is the first Pan African Literary Award to celebrate African fiction writers seeks to recognise, celebrate and reward debut fiction writers of African descent whose works are published in the last 24 months. NoViolet Bulawayo won the maiden edition of the Etisalat Prize for Literature with her highly celebrated debut novel “We Need New Names”. The Etisalat Prize accepts submitted books which must be a writer’s first work of fiction of over 30,000 words, published in the last 24 months.
- The book was first published between June 2015 – June 2017
- The book was published in english and by an author of african citizenship
- All shortlisted and winning authors will cooperate fully with Etisalat Corporate Communications, making themselves available for interviews, events and other opportunities.
- Shortlisted entries by non-African based publishers require co-publisher partnership with an African based publisher.
- Submissions will only be accepted from publishing houses.
- All books entered must have a registered ISBN number or equivalent.
- Publisher should have been a registered business (with certificate of incorporation as a publisher) for minimum of six years
- Entries for fiction books will be submitted by publishers who have published a minimum of six (6) authors.
- Each publisher will be allowed to enter a maximum of three (3) books – however books maybe called in by the judges.
- Each entry will be required to be accompanied by Seven (7) copies of the book being entered along with acceptance of publicity terms.
- The Etisalat Prize for Literature is not open to employees of any organisation under Emirates Telecommunications Corporation with branded trade name Etisalat.
Value of Award:
The winner of the Etisalat Prize for Literature receives £15,000, and a high end device. In line with our vision of promoting upcoming writers, Etisalat will sponsor a book tour to three African cities. The winning writer will also embark on the Etisalat Fellowship at the University of East Anglia mentored by Professor Giles Foden (author of The Last King of Scotland) which will include significant opportunities to meet other writers, publishers and most importantly work on their second book.
The Etisalat Prize for Literature is unique in that it also aims to promote the publishing industry at large and will, therefore, purchase 1000 copies of all shortlisted books which will be donated to various schools, book clubs and libraries across the African continent.
How To Apply:
- Interested candidates should fill the application form
- The application form should be submitted along with seven (7) copies of the published book to our contact address
For more information, visit the Official Website to apply.
Application Deadline: 13th September 2017